Friday 5 October 2012

Bowel cancer screening program

The screening kit came in the mail the other day, and I decided I might as well take part. Don't think dying of bowel cancer would be very pleasant. There's no history of it in my family though. Hence haven't looked into it much at all. The booklet that came with the kit mentioned diet can have a lot to do with getting it.

The screening programme is when you get to 50. Oh what a lovely reminder of my age; taking part in a bowel cancer screening program.  Oh how joyous!


The colonoscopy sounds divine. I'd be asking for a bit less sedation! 

Followed all the instructions, and you mail the samples at a post office. Seemed a pretty easy thing to do really. Must save the state a lot of money in the long term (not to mention saving lives) without having to do all the treatment involved in a late diagnosis of bowel cancer. 

Knew an older couple a while back, he got it first and late stage cancer. That's when they operate to take out the lower bowel to stop it spreading, and give them a colostomy bag on their stomach. Fuck that. I saw that very operation being done on the telly a few years ago, was fuckin horrifying man. I'd not want to even go through that, I don't think I could live with no ass hole darlings. 

Anyway he died of it a few months later despite having the operation, and amazingly she got the same thing not long after that. I was amazed. Either an incredible coincidence or maybe, as mentioned in the booklet, their diet together had a lot to do with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment