Thursday 25 October 2012

Reject John West Tuna - Greenpeace

A very informative email from Greenpeace. All about the canned tuna that we eat and how it's caught; whether that way is destructive or sustainable to the environment. Pretty good I thought. They also have things to print about it if you want, and an interactive page. Here's a poster I snipped from their site:


Here's the "Reject John West Tuna" site, the main one for the campaign. From there you can do all sorts, including sign a petition (from anywhere in the world) that sends a letter to John West. 

But there's more! 

Here's the interactive site of the above poster; the "2012 Canned Tuna Ranking" guide. It's like the above poster only better, like you can roll the mouse over a store name to find out what canned tuna they sell there and which one you can buy from them that's fished sustainably.  

Here's the video from the main site:



I think it's good to be informed like this. It's not some dastardly conspiracy by the left to take over the world or some shit. It's simply informing us how exactly the canned tuna we buy is fished. Online campaigns can work, as Alan Jones has found out.

Horrifyingly, I've discovered I have one of those evil John West cans of tuna in the kitchen. OMG! Oh now I feel dirty! Next time I shop I will be somewhat more discerning. 

I've been getting fresh fish lately anyway. Even then I make sure it says it's been farmed sustainably. Fish is supposed to be a main part of your diet isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment