Friday 19 October 2012

Telstra's "backdoor trojan"; fake email?

I have my email set to the highest security and Hotmail is usually excellent at stopping all the junk. This one however got through (see screen shot below) and so I thought initially it was fine. But it was really general and I didn't understand exactly what it was talking about. The only thing I have with Telstra is the mobile prepaid broadband that I used up in Lightning Ridge. I'm with another ISP at home for the ADSL.

So anyway it said to click the attachment to get instructions. So I did. Soon after the Norton security software poped up and informed me it was dealing with a "backdoor trojan". So I rang Telstra to find out WTF was going on.

Yep, you guessed it. I was promptly connected to their Indian call centre, which the people there were typically hopelessly lost and had no idea what I was talking about. Nearly gave up but after being transferred twice I ended up talking to an Indian bloke who was to do with prepaid mobile. He was able to inform me that the email had nothing to do with prepaid and just ignore it. I told him that the attachment had tried to install a trojan through my back door (oh that sounds quite nice actually) and offered to forward the email to anywhere he wanted so Telstra could take a look at it. Silence on the other end of the phone. Oh well, I tried. He had no idea.

Anyway, if anyone gets an email like this from Telstra, don't click the attachment. Unless you want a trojan in your back door (click to enlarge).

No comments:

Post a Comment