Sunday 11 November 2012

Enhanced Medication Access (EMA) Scheme

Had a bit of a chat yesterday with the chemist I've been going to about this new all guns firing scheme to make HIV meds easier to pick up. I know fuck all about it apart from just a mention here and there and short ads in some gay mags. 

The chemist I've been going to is a small one and very friendly, but I may have to choose another one as I'm not sure of their opening hours. There's a few more nearer to home but I'd have to discuss it with them, and whether I'm going to be charged transport fees or not. It's looking a bit of a hassle in itself and at this stage might be easier just to get on the bus and get them from the Albion Centre. It's actually not that far and has itself a friendly little pharmacy. Not working it's not very long to get there in the middle of the day without the rush hour crowds.

I was reading more about the scheme at Positive Life. Another thing they said too was that HIV meds are cheaper now and I'd get two months instead of just one months supply for the same price of $5.80 per prescription. I guess this is all part of the new strategy to get people onto HIV meds to help reduce infections. 

Another thing is that I'd have to be on the meds for a while anyway even before I applied to have them delivered as you have to be stable on them. I notice two even the full price you pay without any concession card has come down too. I was paying about $35 I think last time I was on them, now it's gone down to $28.

The Enhanced Medication Access (EMA) Scheme allows people with HIV living in NSW who are eligible to have four months supply of HIV medication dispensed and delivered without the need to go to a hospital pharmacy. 

HIV medication will be mailed to your preferred address after payment has been received (by credit or debit card) at the Albion Street Pharmacy. As with the dispensing of all pharmaceuticals, the patient co-payment will need to be paid. In some circumstances, there may be a charge for handling and delivery. 

Supply arrangements for HIV medications have been changed, You will now recieve 2 months supply of HIV medication per co-payment. For people with a health care concession card this will be $5.80 per medication and for poelpe without a health care concession card it will be $28.30 per medication. more

No comments:

Post a Comment