Tuesday 20 November 2012

Police aren't "punching bags" - Scipione

This was a very well put together piece about the death of Curti and the coroners findings. I do feel for justice to be done the police should be charged over it, like anyone else in the community who killed someone. 


 
The guy in the video, Mike (husband of Curti's sister) summed it up brilliantly with this comment near the end.
 MIKE: Until that happened, I’d always maybe had this sort of faith in the police force - that they were out there to do good, and to protect the public, and all that sort of thing. And after seeing what they did to Roberto, I don’t trust them anymore. transcript
Exactly. I don't trust them anymore. People may wonder why I'm so anti the NSW police, long before Curti's death. It's because I've experienced their brutality myself, and their bloody mindedness in trying to get a conviction on me; not giving a fuck if it destroyed what little life I had left.

Andrew Scipione has been the NSW police Commissioner for some time. I always remember these comments of his for some reason back in 2007 in the build up to APEC being held here in Sydney. Took a while to find the article. The city looked like Fort Knox with barricades everywhere, whilst the Labor gov and the police force involved itself in a campaign to demonise anyone who dared to protest (which incidentally just made more people turn up to it, sort of an Australian thing; if some idiot in power says we can't do something that we're allowed to by law, we go and do it just to piss them off). I took part in the protest BTW, many people were marching simply because they felt they had a right to and no one was going to tell them otherwise.

But I digress......  Here's Hitler's Scipione's quotes from that build up:
Addressing reporters on his first day as police commissioner, Mr Scipione said Sydney's APEC meeting was his first priority and challenge and the force was ready. 

"The most important thing from my perspective is (officers) now have been given very clear directions ... our police, particularly in APEC are not there to be punching bags, they are not there to be spat upon, they are not there to be assaulted and if people do that our police will act appropriately, but they will be very decisive, it will be very rapid," Mr Scipione. 

Mr Scipione said officers were "not there to take a pounding" and will arrest people to prevent the spread of violence. 

"I will not let them be put up as battering targets for those that want to hurt them, that's just not acceptable," he said. 

"I've got a responsibility to ensure that my police don't become targets for anyone." more
Those words came back to me after my experience with the cops, and seem extremely chilling now after Curti's death. 

Scipione remains the NSW police Commissioner, despite a change of state gov. IMO he should be sacked. All we want are cops to protect us, not a fuckin war with them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment