Wednesday 9 January 2013

Australia heats up

Australia has suddenly gone bloody hot. We've had the coolest summer so far that I can remember here, even cooler than last year I reckon. But yesterday in Sydney it was like a furnace. Even though it was dry heat you still sweat like mad. Dunno what the temp was but well over 40 degrees C.  I'm from New Zealand, can't handle heat like that at all. Sat inside at the pub even, only could last 5 minutes or so outside when David smoked.

Reading today I see the Bureau of Meteorology here has had to apply new colours to it's interactive weather map to accommodate temps of over 50 degrees C.
The range now extends to 54 degrees – well above the all-time record temperature of 50.7 degrees reached on January 2, 1960 at Oodnadatta Airport in South Australia – and, perhaps worringly, the forecast outlook is starting to deploy the new colours. 

"The scale has just been increased today and I would anticipate it is because the forecast coming from the bureau's model is showing temperatures in excess of 50 degrees," David Jones, head of the bureau's climate monitoring and prediction unit, said. Read more
Here's a snip of the forecast at 5pm this Sat: 

  
Hot air heats up more and more in the middle of Australia, and all you need are winds strong enough to blow some of that hot air into the cities, like Sydney. 

Again, I don't do well in the heat. Didn't stay at David's last night as he needs sleep for work today, but there's no way I'd be able to sleep in heat like that without an air conditioner. So I came home. Set it up closing doors and with fans blowing out of my room so my daughter could get some cool air as well. Worked OK just for a little portable AC.

No comments:

Post a Comment