Friday 4 January 2013

Cigarette company covers plain smoke packs

Some cigarette outlets are possibly in breach of the tough new anti-smoking laws here regarding plain packaging. They're giving away covers for the smokes so people don't have to look at the likes of Bryan:


Pretty cheeky I thought. Although seems to me all they need to do is charge a few cents for it and they'd be fine with the laws. But it does give an idea how the cigarette companies want to cover up the truth about smoking.
AUSTRALIA'S largest tobacco franchise could be in breach of state laws by giving away free cardboard cigarette sleeves designed to cover plain cigarette packs.

The Tobacco Station Group, which has more than 300 stores nationally, is offering the covers, which feature the company's logo and web address, free to customers who buy tobacco products in their outlets.

Fairfax understands that under the Victorian and NSW tobacco acts, retailers are prohibited from offering customers a gift with the purchase of any tobacco product. 

The federal Department of Health and Ageing is investigating whether the products breach federal tobacco laws and has advised its state and territory counterparts to do the same

''[States] and territories have enacted legislation prohibiting promotional schemes for tobacco products - that is, offering gifts, prizes … in association with the sale of tobacco products,'' a spokeswoman for the department said. ''It is therefore a matter for consideration by states and territories.'' Read more
I can certainly understand people not wanting to look at poor Bryan though. I went and bought some smokes for David other day at a bottlo near his place and they pulled out these smokes with Bryan on it. I just said "Can I have a different packet please", which the bloke gave me. So even I find the Bryan picture and story confronting, and I don't even bloody smoke.

I tried when I was 13, ended up spewing my guts up. Never had the desire to smoke since (well, marijuana is an exception).

No comments:

Post a Comment