Tuesday 16 April 2013

Guantanamo inmate tells his story

I suppose it was only a matter of time. When you're locked up for years without trial or charge, amongst others with the same fate, things are eventually going to start boiling over. Some in Gitmo are now on hunger strike in protest at their treatment. 

I imagine their concerns would mostly fall on deaf ears within the US, but not so in other countries. I dunno why the US gov and ours keeps crapping on about how free we all are, when they can (in both our countries; Australia's treatment of asylum seekers) hold people indefinitely without trial or charge.

Now one of those on hunger strike in Gitmo, Samir Naji al Hasan Moqbel, has told his story to his lawyers. It's incredible that a country which supposedly adheres to human rights could do this to people in this day and age. Eleven years without trial or charge.
I’ve been on a hunger strike since Feb. 10 and have lost well over 30 pounds. I will not eat until they restore my dignity. 

I’ve been detained at Guantánamo for 11 years and three months. I have never been charged with any crime. I have never received a trial. I could have been home years ago — no one seriously thinks I am a threat — but still I am here. Years ago the military said I was a “guard” for Osama bin Laden, but this was nonsense, like something out of the American movies I used to watch. They don’t even seem to believe it anymore. But they don’t seem to care how long I sit here, either.

 ............................. 

When they come to force me into the chair, if I refuse to be tied up, they call the E.R.F. team. So I have a choice. Either I can exercise my right to protest my detention, and be beaten up, or I can submit to painful force-feeding. 

The only reason I am still here is that President Obama refuses to send any detainees back to Yemen. This makes no sense. I am a human being, not a passport, and I deserve to be treated like one. 

I do not want to die here, but until President Obama and Yemen’s president do something, that is what I risk every day. 

Where is my government? I will submit to any “security measures” they want in order to go home, even though they are totally unnecessary. - See more

No comments:

Post a Comment