Wednesday 10 April 2013

Seeing a private dentist

I've heard nothing from the dental hospital about when I go see them next. There's no indication at all how much longer I'm supposed to wait on the waiting list. Meanwhile one of the loose front teeth has gotten much worse over the last couple of weeks, looks like it'll come out on it's own if I kept waiting.

So I made an appointment at a private dentist across the road for next Monday. Is part of the big medical centre there that bulk bills to see doctors (free), although the dentist doesn't have access to Medicare rebates. Dunno how much it'll be. Most probably some sort of plate put there to replace the loose teeth. 

Will have to use the money from my redundancy payout to do it. If I come up short before Centrelink said I would in June I'll have to ask them to put me up to the full pension earlier. It's not my fault the gov took away my free dental. If I have to get it done, I have to get it done, simple as that.

I know somebody else too who's been left in the lurch by the gov cutting off free dental for the chronically ill. Unfortunately he hasn't the luxury of a redundancy payout and is stuck not knowing what to do about it now. 

I appreciate that the old system was subject to abuse as it was too available to people who could afford to see a dentist without assistance from the gov. But FFS more thought should have been given to genuine people like me who really relied on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment