Wednesday 1 May 2013

"HIV cure" - some perspective

One of the things I've noticed about being positive is the amount of times a newspaper or article will shout from the mountain tops that a "cure" for HIV is within reach. I myself have to take these announcements with a large grain of salt, and indeed when you read the actual articles they're often saying something far less sensational than that they've found, or are near, a cure. Indeed, I think I'd go even nuttier than I already am if I got all excited about the latest headline screaming out about an HIV cure. It's simply easier on my head to live with HIV than living in hope of a cure.

This little video really puts things in perspective; namely that the few cases that there have been where HIV has been eradicated from the body are very unique circumstances and very rare cases. In fact there's always been people who're classed as "long term progressors" who can have HIV for 20 years or more with no untoward health effects.


No comments:

Post a Comment