Tuesday 13 August 2013

Gays fleeing Russia

Well those ones that have enough money to do so. This article is about a lesbian couple and the fears they have for their family under the new "propaganda" law. It's very interesting, coming to the conclusion that as gay parents they must flee Russia. There's more legislation in the pipeline giving the state the right to remove children from same sex couples.
In March, the St Petersburg legislator who had become a spokesman for the law started mentioning me and my "perverted family" in his interviews. I contacted an adoption lawyer asking whether I had reason to worry that social services would go after my family and attempt to remove my oldest son, whom I adopted in 2000. The lawyer wrote back telling me to instruct my son to run if he is approached by strangers and concluding: "The answer to your question is at the airport." 

In June, the "homosexual propaganda" bill became federal law. The Duma passed a ban on adoptions by same-sex couples and by single people living in countries where same-sex marriage is legal. The head of the parliamentary committee on the family pledged to create a mechanism for removing children from same-sex families. Two things happened to me the same month: I was beaten up in front of parliament for the first time and I realised that in all my interactions, including professional ones, I no longer felt I was perceived as a journalist first: I am now a person with a pink triangle. 
My family is moving to New York. We have the money and documents needed to do that with relative ease – unlike thousands of other LGBT families and individuals in Russia. more
Why the IOC would even consider having Olympic games in such a place is beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment