Thursday 22 August 2013

Marriage equality frustration - Australia

I like this opinion piece a lot. From a Nicky Bryson, it gives an insight into the frustration and fatigue that many LGBT people are feeling in this country in regards to marriage equality. 
You know what? I’m sick of hearing about it too. I’m so tired of seeing marriage equality being used as a stick for politicians to beat each other with and I have had quite enough of every bloody ‘expert’ weighing in to tell us what the rest of Australia think about the issue. 

I’m frustrated every time I see the words ‘conscience vote’ or when yet another opinion poll pops up to tell us what a whole bunch of people who never plan to get gay-married feel about gays getting married. 

For the life of me I can’t understand why so many people feel they should get a say in the delivery of a basic civil right. If they can accept that we should pay taxes, obey the laws and live in harmony with the ideals of Australia, then why do they expect us to be subjected to legalised federal discrimination? 

US commentator Rachel Maddow said: “But here’s the thing about rights – they’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights”. I truly believe that. You can talk to me all you like about putting marriage equality to a vote and all I can think is, “I don’t remember the referendum where I got to vote on straight marriage”. 

There is such a sense of rage building in me that I don’t know how to deal with at all. I keep seeing perfectly normal people talk about how the marriage equality debate is taking much-needed focus away from education, health and unemployment and I want to scream. 
Do people realise how easy it is to say that sort of thing when you are secure in your rights? Have they got any idea how much it hurts to be pushed aside and told to “wait because it will happen eventually”? Until then, I guess we should piss off to the back of the bus and wait until every other single problem in this country has been solved. more
Yeah, I know. When you think about it (if you're straight) would you like the population to vote on whether you can marry someone you love? Would you like to hear commentators from all different walks of life giving their opinion on whether your love for your partner is real or not? Would you like to see some of the hate thrown at us even in this very election campaign by fellow Australian citizens who would deny us a basic human right because of their religion? Would you like to have people discussing something so private as your love for someone, in the media like you don't even exist or have no choice in the matter? Would you like to see politicians use your love as a political football?

I think LGBT people in Australia have been very patient in the face of such things. I'd say that patience is starting to wear a bit thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment