Saturday 24 August 2013

Organic foods are better for you

I sometimes buy the odd organic thing from the supermarket. They're more expensive but often taste better, and there is the thought in my mind that they're probably better for you too. Food experts though have been saying for years that's there's no difference between organic food and the usual mass produced stuff. Those of us who've tried consuming mass produced potatoes, tomatoes, or other things that are tasteless or taste like bloody flour or something, may have been disagreeing with that for some time. 

I mean it's not rocket science is it. Food that hasn't been doused in chemicals surely must be in better consumable shape than the mass produced variety. Growing up on a farm in NZ everything was organic back then. I don't remember many chemicals being used at all, except for weed killing, and that wasn't in crops that I remember. We'd eat stuff growing wild too. There was a huge peach tree down the back of the farm, and blackberries would grow all over the place. We also had a big vege garden next to the house.

So this from a food expert comes as no surprise to me.
"Scientists have always said eating organic food is senseless and makes no difference as pesticides don't harm humans," says Dr Mark Donohoe, a Sydney GP with a special interest in environmental medicine. 

"However, the pesticides kill certain species of gut bacteria, not us."

This causes an imbalance that contributes to obesity and poor general health, says Dr Donohoe, who is speaking at an AustralAsian Academy of Anti-Ageing Medicine Conference in Melbourne on August 24. 

"This thinking is becoming mainstream, particularly among gastroenterologists. 
"My wife and patients have told me for 20 years that they feel better on an organic diet, but I have said there is no reason why they should." It turns out they are protecting their gut flora, he says. more
The thing about the good bacteria in the bowels getting fucked up by chemicals in food is of great interest to me, in view of all the problems I've had in the last months with feeling ill. Fuck after that spew I did recently and nearly got taken to hospital, I'm certainly going to have a closer look at organics now.

No comments:

Post a Comment