Wednesday 21 August 2013

Rent increase?

I've been waiting and waiting for ages for a possible rent increase. It hasn't gone up in well over 2 years. In fact from before I nearly carked it in hospital two and a half years back. Hmmm....... I wonder if my nearly carking it has had something to do with that? My daughter told them I was in a coma in ICU as she was having trouble with their system to pay the rent (all the log in numbers and the like were in my coma-ed head). So the real estate and landlord both would've known of my dire situation..... Is it possible some humanity has infused into the system?

Anyway my neighbour who lives in next-doors units (owned by the same landlord) was telling me yesterday that he got a letter from the real estate agent about the same time as the last inspection, informing him of a $30 a week  rent increase. Oh it's so wonderful being part of the boom town isn't it.....  He asked if I'd got one. Well no I've not got anything in the mail, and we've been watching the mail like hawks as David relies on the old snail mail. So either my letter got lost in the mail (that wouldn't surprise me with Australia Post) or I'm not getting an increase. Hoping it's the later.

Think I'll just wait and see. Don't want to raise any questions about it as the real estate may decide to give an increase that they otherwise wouldn't have. If I get a letter saying I'm behind in the rent then I'll ask about it. It's an auto payment each Monday so there's no chance of me being behind unless there's an increase I've not been informed about.

$30 a week does seem rather exorbitant. They've had quite a few rent increases next door over the years that I've not had. The problem is they're just little one bedroom places, theoretically in high demand because of Sydney's high rents, which means the rental goes up because of the demand. Isn't it a wonderful thing Capitalism.....  there's also been a lot of work done on four units in the block after people have left, doing them up for the next tenants. 

Mind you, my place isn't quite like theirs nextdoor. I dunno how well they'd go trying to rent it out again. Hundred year old building, gravity feed hot water, carpet looks at least 30 years old, etc etc. 

So at the moment the neighbours one bedroom place is now $320 a week. My two bedroom part house, falling down around my ears, is still $360 a week. Well for the moment anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment