Tuesday 27 August 2013

US skater won't be "rude" to Russia

I just wonder how LGBT Russians, in the midst of either fleeing Russia or going underground, would feel reading this crap from a US skater off to Sochi, who says it's "a little rude" to criticise Russia. He compares (mind-bogglingly) the Russian "propaganda" laws with the interior decorating of a house:
Josh Farris, the reigning world junior champ from Colorado Springs, said he's been told "to be careful, just in case" about expressing his opinion. "My opinions are my opinions. I don't want to cause something. My decision is to not say anything." 

Jeremy Abbott, an Aspen native and graduate of Cheyenne Mountain High School in Colorado Springs, also found himself measuring his words. 

"Russia is hosting us," Abbott said. "I'm not going to go into somebody's house and be like, 'Um, the way you decorate is hideous, and you need to completely redo this or I'm never coming back.' It's a little rude, so I don't want to say bad things about a country that's hosting the world, essentially. 

"Maybe I don't agree with their policies, and maybe I don't agree with some things, but that's for them to sort out. My speaking out just makes me look like an ass." more  
What an insult. A medal for him is more important than who we are, and the persecution my brothers and sisters are going through in Russia. Looks like Australian athletes aren't the only ones to lose sight of what the Olympics is all about. Athletes are supposed to behave with good character as a representative of their country and an example to the public. What we have here is an athlete throwing human rights and the Olympic charter out the window for his own selfish gain; ie, a medal. 

The whole Olympic movement needs a reboot. The IOC itself has lost sight of it's charter along with it's athletes. Since when do free speaking people censor themselves to please Russia? Why the fuck did we fight WW2 then?

Well I hope he doesn't win a thing. Even if he does, history will not remember him well.

No comments:

Post a Comment