Monday 7 July 2014

Bust The Budget Sydney rally - my report

Before any of my stuff, this picture is all over the internet at the moment, taken at the Melbourne rally. It says it all:


Police reports put Sydney's attendance at about 6,000, although there's always differing opinions about crowd numbers. Organisers put it much more than that. I'm no good on crowd estimates, but this surely looks more than 6,000 people to me. Here's some pics I took at Town Hall where they had the speakers. People were still arriving during that time too.






The crowd had a lot of older people protesting cuts to pensions and health care, along with disabled people. There's no way that anyone could've called the crowd in any way radical. I noted also that the police presence was minimal.

It was a bitterly cold winters day marching down the city streets. It didn't stop the sick and old coming out though. There was a lady in front of me with a walking stick, and here's something you don't see everyday:


I stood on some bus seats and took this one of some of the crowd.



And of course that utterly marvelous pic I posted last night.


I also took a little video on the camera. It's not the best clarity but it gives a feel for how it was. The drums of war are pounding.....  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment