Wednesday 6 August 2014

School Chaplain posts homophobic comment facebook

These are the School Chaplains that Abbott wants to keep going in schools, in some cases replacing counselors. This bloke posted offensive stuff about gays on facebook which are wrong and damaging to young vulnerable people struggling with their sexuality.

And saying sorry after the offence when you're caught out doesn't cut it.
Hobart College chaplain and Kingborough youth outreach officer Troy Williams re-posted a comment on Facebook that said "homosexuality is not normal" and "no-one is born gay". 

The post has since been removed and Mr Williams has issued an apology. 

He told the ABC: "I've made a mistake and learnt from it. I'm deeply sorry for any offence I've caused. I was very careless in posting that image for discussion. I will work with my employers to ensure there is no repeat." 

Gay rights activist and academic Rodney Croome said he was shocked by the post. 

"I was quite horrified because what this post says to young gay people is that someone they should be able to trust and who should support them thinks that their sexuality is abnormal, unnatural and a choice," he said. 

"Those myths aren't just wrong, I think they're very dangerous to the wellbeing of young same-sex attracted young people. 

"That not only means young gay people won't be able to seek support from him, but he's actually making their life worse, he's perpetuating stigma against them." more  

No comments:

Post a Comment