Thursday 4 September 2014

Got the Carers Allowance

Got the medical certificate done at the doctors last week and David went up to Centrelink yesterday with it. A simple procedure. I'm on the DSP so it was straight forward. 

The Carer's Allowance is a payment introduced under the Howard gov for those looking after the sick. Unless it's changed over the years, it's not subject to any income and assets tests, or classed as taxable income. In fact if you're in Housing, the Carers Allowance doesn't get any rent calculated on it either.

I used to get it for years when I was the carer for my late wife. It was about $85 or so a fortnight back then. Today it's just under $120 a fortnight. Not a lot but it all helps. As I've said anyway I can't imagine having one of those bloody panic attacks on my own without David here to get me through it.

That will bring David's payments up to a massive $590 a fortnight! Actually, just about survivable along with what I get with the partnered DSP rate. We're all fixed up again with the rent assistance too all put back to the maximum. Looks like you have to add benefits on to Newstarve to get any sort of vaguely livable amount of money. Seriously, how in the hell do they expect anyone to be able to get by on $470 a fortnight?   

No comments:

Post a Comment