Monday 1 September 2014

Sydney march in August 2014 - my picture story :)

It was a brilliantly fine day in Sydney yesterday, with a cool start to the day but warming up to 20 degrees in the afternoon. I'd gone with a winter jacket on but was soon much too hot with it on. As the speakers prepared and the crowd gathered, there were cute and funny placards. I snapped the odd one. This one, two obviously gay boys held one of the best signs; note how the sign is being held up....


Then there was this one, top points for cuteness here. 


This one was interesting in a couple of ways. Obviously the couple look like intelligent and well educated people, yet they hold a sign that many on the right would label as extreme. Abbott and cohorts are called terrorists. Interestingly and not planned, a dark bloke who some would say looks like a terrorist because he's dark, is walking by as innocent as everyone else there.




This one isn't mine, was in the news later yesterday and I got it off the net, the one I posted yesterday. Bottom left is me underneath the yellow topped bloke :) 


We listened to 6 speakers, went quite long in the hot sun but what they were saying was well worth listening to. Experts from health, education, and other areas, who were much more qualified to speak about their fields than those silly bloody ideological pollies in Canberra. This was the MC the Getup guy.


The crowd moved out of Hyde Park and began the march through the streets. Couldn't get up to the front of the march as there were so many people, and took some pictures from where I was in the crowd.


There were some interesting moments during the march itself. I only have a little cheap camera that does stuff automatically (thank fuck) and it seems hard to focus the thing when you're on the move, but sometimes you do get the odd very interesting shots.

This lady in the wheelchair made me laugh. She was puting along quite happily in her chair, with this sign on the top. I thought if these people can protest then surely I have no excuse not to. 


There was also another wheelchair not far in front of her. This one had a sick child in the chair with the parents walking the child in the chair. How heart breaking that the Abbott gov is picking on these people. Indeed as has been said, this was the budget that broke Australia's heart.



This shot was one of the most interesting. Presently we came to this. Yes, the police were on mounted horseback in case of any trouble. WTF? Did they think there was going to be a wheelchair charge down the fuckin street? Did they imagine that I would launch myself in a frontal attack on the cops just for the hell of it? Fuck, I'd probably not get within 10 metres of them before being paralysed in some kind of intense anxiety attack! *sheesh*


The overall picture I found myself a bit surprised at. The people on the walkway at the top looking for all the world like the elite, police on horseback below in defence of the Empire, and the sick and vulnerable protesting in front of them. I do have a bit of an imagination :)

This last one was so cute, the family at the front with the girl on the right holding her sign up. Awwwww...... (I wonder if the cops thought they were going to attack them as well?).







No comments:

Post a Comment