Tuesday 21 October 2014

Gough Whitlam dies at 98 - his legacy lives on


Would have to say 98 is a very good innings. Australians are celebrating his life and accomplishments as they learn of his passing. He changed Australia's history and direction. He ended conscription, a huge issue with the Vietnam war, and used his gov for the good of the people. Course the Lieberals didn't like it as we all know.

I was interested to look back a bit. It was before my time in Australia. To me it looks that he was offering an alternative to harshness. This the campaign song when he was swept into power in the '70's.


A stark contrast between the Abbott gov now and Whitlam then would be what he did to welfare. Whitlam increased it. For example, instead of me being clobbered on the DSP like Abbott wants, he actually increased it substantially. 

My, what a difference 30 years of Reaganomics has made eh.  

 link

 

No comments:

Post a Comment