Monday 2 March 2015

Unemployed youth are not "lazy" - Ricky Muir

Ricky Muir, senator for the Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party, was mocked by the media commentators and the major parties when being voted into the senate by just a few votes. People were saying  the system needed changing, and that how could this happen?

Today however he's one of the cross bench senators who hold the balance of power in the Australian federal senate, and has been part of the effort to block and destroy SSJoe's unfair budget from last year against the unemployed and unfortunate.

He's come from the ground up. Has no degree. Has fought hard to provide for his family all his life. Left home at 15. He's more in touch with average Australians than anyone in the gov will ever be. By the way poor people do have cars.

He uses his life experience in writing an article for the Canberra Times, relating his experiences of unemployment and using that to condemn the gov's attitude to the unemployed:
Although I did land my first job – working in manufacturing in Melbourne – when I was 17, the experience of being a teenager and jobless was a very challenging time in my life. It only takes a couple of knock-backs from jobs to bring your morale down. 

I definitely know what it's like to build your way from nothing. I know the challenges that young people in similar situations today face. In country towns around Australia, it's especially hard for young people because there isn't the public transport to even get you to a job interview if you don't have access to a car – or parents who will drive you. 

I want to put it on the record that I completely object to the idea that "young people are lazy". That's a lazy stereotype and does not fit the young unemployed people I talk to. Of course, it's really important to focus on trying hard to find a job, but much more than a "good attitude" is needed these days to land even an entry-level job. 

I tried hard, but I still found it tough to get work as an early school-leaver without work experience, qualifications or personal contacts. My message to policy makers is to put themselves in the shoes of the young people looking for work. more

 

No comments:

Post a Comment