Friday 10 April 2015

Going down in $flames again

Actually it's sort of like the next step from here. Now that we actually have enough money to survive after a fashion, now the disaster that is the credit card is going to have to be dealt with. I'm afraid the writing is on the wall.

Well it's certainly saved us during a time when fuck knows what we'd have done. For some time it was all we had whilst Centrelink and everyone else fucked us around. Now it's going for the max again and this time we've run out of options. I've rung the neigbourhood centre and set about organising to see their financial counselor. 

The problem now is the interest, over $500 was charged to the account the other day for the end of month interest. Completely unpayable that amount each month. We're both only on the pension at present with job searching for David being a bit unlucky to say the least. We can't get any more money out of our super until July as we've already both done the $7,800 financial hardship thing and thrown it at the credit card (that's after tax, it was actually $10,000 but we should get the balance back in July for that). Can't do the thing I did a few years ago where I was able to get $30,000 out as the bills I had were stressing me out so much it was affecting my health; the gov's shut down that avenue now too. Even took $10,000 offered by my sister to stay $afloat at one point last year. 

Housing has also refused to put us both on the priority Housing list so that avenue is closed too. They seem just fine and dandy with us paying 50% of our income in rent, going so far as to deem that "affordable". We thought about moving to a cheaper private rental property but the money saved would just be a drop in the bucket and no real solution to the credit card debt. Where we are I'm in my 8th year here now and the rent has only increased $60 a week in that time. Sometimes it hasn't gone up in two years, and when it does it's only a modest amount. Who's to say another landlord will be the same as that? Lots of places increase their rent every 6 months.

So there it is, we've finally run out of options. Unless there's some kind of a miracle announcement by the impending financial counselor, I'd say I'm going to have to default on it. Whether that means bankruptcy or not I dunno. It's a lot of money for us, but really it's just chicken feed when you look at the $billions in bank profits every year. They'd be insured for such loses anyway. I mean WTF are we supposed to do, not eat? 

Sorry SSJoe, can't do any heavy lifting here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment