Saturday 11 April 2015

Green super fund outperforms default fund - Australian Super


David recently rolled all his super money from HESTA into Australian Super and in the default "Balanced" fund. I've been with Australian Super for zonks but a few months ago decided to divest from dirty energy and I put all my super into the green "Sustainable Balanced" one. We were interested to see the comparison over the two funds. Hence the above graph/info-graphic above. 

Although the sustainable green fund has only been around for the last decade or so, during that time it's average performance has been a full 1% better than the default fund. This year slightly down, but as they say superannuation is about the long term investment performance. In other words it's going gangbusters. Since I did the financial hardship thing last year with the fund I was able to get all of $10,000 out ($7,800 after tax), the fund has earned $5,000 of it back.

I dunno whether to laugh or cry; that the gov we have is so blind, or that it's performing well and I can't get my hands on it. Even though illness has pretty much meant I've had to retire early. In fact this very issue was in the ACOSS recommendations; that for people like me who can't work anymore, we should be able to access our super early if we need to. At the moment I'm supposed to sit here and starve whilst I look on at my Superfund going bananas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment