Sunday 17 May 2015

Close encounter of the Lieberal kind, on a Sydney bus

We went and visited one of David's friends yesterday and coming back on the bus from Central Station we had the unfortunate chance of being on the same bus as two spoiled north shore Lieberals in their early adulthood. Rather a scene developed. David is sort of leave everyone alone and don't cause trouble, bla, which is fair enough. On this occasion though I simply had to intervene.

So we get on the bus and it's packed, we're just behind the driver standing up holding railings and the rest of the bus aisle is full of people. On the bus are two rather inebriated young men of about early 20's. They're singing a pathetic schoolyard boys sort of song about beers and drinking at the top of their voices, looking rather plastered in the process. They were on their way to the footy, obviously from the enclaves of the north shore as they might as well have been carrying big signs saying so. 

David says to me "I thought you were bad" on the bus, after I've had some beers and going home. We laughed, I said "I thought the age of entitlement was over". Honestly they stuck out like sore thumbs; the eastern suburbs is very different than the north shore. We're not sheltered from each other in enclaves of walls and riches. These two were a pathetic Abbottesque joke. Clones. Might as well have been young Abbott's. 

So then they get into this pathetic schoolyard type song that is extremely offensive to be singing in a public space, where half of that public is women. A disgustingly degrading song about women it was, the lyrics that stick in my mind went like "I wish you were a hole in the ground" and went on about fucking it, and the other one as it got even more disgustingly disrespectful to women was the end of the song the last word rhyming being "cliterus". By that stage the whole bus was in shocked silence, they singing at the top of their voices after realising they had an audience,  mistakenly thinking that everyone was entertained by it.

As fate would have it, as people got on and off the bus we ended up being seated right behind them. Just after one of them announced that he was getting married the next day. I couldn't help myself at this point.

"You're getting married tomorrow and you disrespect women like that?" I said to them as we sat down.

One of them turns around asking what did I say? Holding his camera phone up to record. I say it again for the benefit of the video and tell him to put it on YouTube then. He stops recording. 

I say "I thought the age of entitlement was over"..... the guy turned around glaring at me. Says "We own you". I look at David and say smirking, "Did you hear that, he owns us"....

They ask incredulous what did they do? I say they offended half of the bus; ie the women. They ask how? I say they degraded them referring to their cliterus like that. They are incredulous again, in disbelief. What? They were "just having a bit of fun".

I said it wasn't funny, and the fact that I have to tell you what you did is even worse. By this time the other guy has turned around glaring at me. He comments he's twice the size of me. I say "That's typical isn't it, resort straight to violence". He glares more, I glare back and say strongly, don't look at me like that". He keeps glaring. I think to myself how funny this all is and how stupid they're making themselves look.

They detect my Kiwi accent and start putting me down as some silly Kiwi, and they are the patriotic Australians. David says "So's he", and me "Yes I'm a dual citizen. See that's what you do, you question my patriotism instead of realising your disrespect".

They start going on about the Queen. I say "The Queen can go fuck herself for all I care. This is Australia not England". He looks deeply shocked, speechless in fact for a moment.

The other one sarcastically apologises to me for offending me. I say "Don't apologise to me, apologise to all the women on the bus you've disrespected". To his credit he got up and apologised to them, albeit with the same sarcasm.

And then they left for the footy. Fuck I wonder what the footy crowd thought of these two idiots. One who wanted to fight, one who worshiped the Queen, and both who wanted to sing degrading songs about a woman's cliterus (not that I think either of them had ever seen one). Certainly on the cards they got into some sort of strife.

As soon as they left I got smiles all around from everyone. A thumbs up from one, another young bloke came and thanked me for saying what I did before getting off. I was the bus hero darlings :) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment