Sunday 16 August 2015

Dolce & Gabbana apologise for anti-gay statements - citing Catholicism

This one I'm dedicating to Lieberal Abetz, who last week asserted that gays don't want to get married because Dolce and Gabbana, to an almighty community "WTF are you fuckin serious?" to Abetz.

Well Dolce has apologised and Gabbana supports him in the latest issue of Vogue.
Regarding the IVF children his comments insulted, Dolce expresses remorse and says he understands the hurt his words have caused. “I’ve done some soul-searching. I’ve talked to Stefano a lot about this. I’ve realized that my words were inappropriate, and I apologize. They are just kids,” he continues. “You don’t need labels, baby labels.” He acknowledges that others should have the chance to create families with the aid of science. “I think everybody chooses for themselves. I don’t know everything about IVF, but I love it when people are happy. It’s like medicine. Science has been put on the table to help people.”

Stefano Gabbana, tanned and muscular in a pair of print trousers and a fitted T-shirt, shoots forward vigorously from a gilded, thronelike chair across the coffee table from Dolce to add his point of view. “When they ask if I wanted to be a parent, I say yes, of course, why not? But it’s not possible in Italy,” one of the few Western European countries in which same-sex unions are still illegal. (A bill is under discussion to make single-parent adoption possible.) This, among other obstacles, stymied Gabbana’s serious hopes of becoming a dad. “I had thought of going to California and having a baby, but I couldn’t bring the baby back to Italy, because you need the mother’s passport. I asked about adoption in Italy. It’s very hard for a straight couple here—imagine if you are gay!” more
Why did they say it? Italian Catholicism is apparently so entrenched in their psyche that they're unable to escape it. How tragic for them.
As for Dolce, it is tempting to see his apology as prompted by public pressure or by the fear of losing business. But he holds to the conviction that certain choices other gay men and women are taking are personally not open to him because of his Catholic beliefs. Dolce’s spirituality is a meditative consolation, one he will talk about only when pressed, he says. “I never use my faith for advertising.” Gabbana, unlike Dolce, does not regularly attend church but, like most Italians, grew up steeped in its culture. “Both our mothers wore medallions of the Virgin in their bras,” he says, “for protection.” more
I now await for Abetz (a Catholic as well BTW) to retract his statement earlier this week that gays don't want to get married because of what these two brainwashed Italian Catholics still holding on to their mum's aprons, said out of order. I'm not holding my breath.  

No comments:

Post a Comment