Wednesday 11 November 2015

His partner dies and he has no rights - why we need marriage equality in Australia

Anyone straight reading this? If so imagine what it would be like after losing your wife and this happening to you.

It's a sad fact, but without a marriage certificate the partner left behind can be walked all over by the family. Imagine having to get a lawyer to even see the body? Imagine negotiating to attend the funeral and having to sit at the back? Imagine not even being mentioned at the funeral?

It happens today in Australia. Because we can't get a marriage certificate.
Meanwhile, events cascaded out of my control.

I learnt he would be buried in his hometown of Ulverstone, against his express wish to be cremated in Hobart.

I asked to see his body in hospital but was denied access.

By the time I found a lawyer to help me the body had been released to his family.

By word of mouth I found out when the funeral would be and after negotiations between his family and mine I was able to attend if I sat down the back and said nothing.

The ceremony did not reflect his life and made no mention of our relationship.

My partner was my soul mate and I feel I had a connection with him I will never have with anyone else again.

We had planned to marry in New Zealand, having been engaged for more than a year.

To be treated like I meant nothing to him, and was not even a part of his life, left me feeling like a part of my soul has been crushed into dust.

It's been harder for me to come to terms with his death because when I was trying to see his body and attend his funeral I should have been grieving.

I have been left feeling worthless as a person and questioning why I engage with a society that does not protect my rights. The Examiner 

And they wonder why us gays have mental health issue far more than straights FFS.

No comments:

Post a Comment