Sunday 4 January 2015

"Pretty land. Toxic people." = New Zealand

I couldn't have put it better myself. This I came across in the comments section of an article about racism in New Zealand, but those words cover all. The tourists don't see it, just the pretty land. Those of us who do and are damaged and appalled by it get the fuck out, like me and my sister. Here's the full comment.
mum123nauckland March 26, 2011 at 6:41 am 

Tourists do not linger long enough to receive this treatment. 

Migrants who stay longer, and do receive this treatment, usually want to put it far behind them, but some do speak out. Only to be criticised for negativity against New Zealand. 

I am a migrant worker from Wales, renting at a low to medium economic level. The mould, cold, and neglect of human needs – lawful needs that would be unquestioningly met in any other country that called itself first world – something one becomes accustomed to but did not always foresee? 

Pretty land. Toxic people. I am saving for airfare home. more
There's something very very wrong with NZ society and people. This notion that you have to be tough, and you won't be tough unless you suffer first. No appreciation of the beauty of various art-forms. That's just pansy, girlie, weak. Everyone must fit in to a mold made from hate. Everyone must have the same attitude of toughness and there's no room for variance. Clobber someone if they "deserve it" as that's tough. If they protest they're weak.

I saved my airfare in 1985 and have never had the desire to go back, not once.  

No comments:

Post a Comment