Monday 13 April 2015

Cancer biopsy results - all clear

I decided to rejoin the anal cancer study and so they told me I didn't need to go to my appt today at the hospital, and that they would ring to make an appt for me sometime in the future. Then on the weekend I got a text saying to turn up to it. So I rang them this morning about WTF do they want me to do, and soon got a call back from the doctor I've been seeing there (outside the study) with the results.

No I didn't need to come in. He had some good news as well. Everything had come up smelling roses, so to speak. There was the "all clear" given, and I am now cancer free. Not that I had cancer as it hadn't progressed that far, only cells that were quite abnormal and could well have gone on to be cancerous. 

I'll have to go back in a year for another checkup, but likely will be seen much earlier anyway due to me rejoining the anal cancer study.

For anyone HIV+, I'd highly recommend getting checked out for anal cancer. HIV+ people have a much higher risk of getting it, even with the new meds that make the virus undetectable. What's happened over the years is that many of the illnesses associated with HIV/AIDS have been hugely reduced as the HIV medications take control of the virus. Unfortunately though anal cancer isn't one of them and remains at a high rate among the HIV+.

No comments:

Post a Comment