Saturday 30 August 2014

Official charity case - the cost of discrimination

It's official. I am now a charity case. I've been poor before but I've never ended up an official charity case :s

We got the visit from the food people last week and I signed up for a box of fresh fruit and vegetables delivered once a fortnight, all for $12. Being as I'd already explained a lot of the situation we talked about our circumstances and what had led up to us being as fucked as we are now. 

Surprisingly there wasn't a need for giving them a DNA sample along with our life history attached as in Centrelink. They seemed genuinely concerned about us and were extremely nice people.

One of the things that came up near the end, was that they mentioned the community centre local here just down the road, and they could refer to others services if we needed it. That was much appreciated by me as I said it was hard to know how to access charity (even though that was Centrelink's instructions) as I'd never had to before, and neither had David. 

In fact this whole present situation with money would never have happened, had David's work not chosen to endorse the discrimination from it's staff member and force him out. Apart from anything else that discrimination and resulting victimisation has imposed a huge financial toll on us as a couple. We're afloat for the moment, but really I can't see any way out of this new debt now other than bankruptcy. There's no way we can even service the debt anymore with what little we're getting; we made up this months payment from the bit of back pay David got from Centrelink, but fuck knows what we're going to do next month.

We are meeting with the lawyer next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment