Monday 13 August 2018

David has cancer and I'm getting cataract surgery tomorrow, - the blind leading the blind :s


Finally, after one full year on the waiting list (because the Abbott/Turbull gov has cut so very much federal funding to hospitals, whilst not seeing a problem give half a billion dollars to a tin-pot outfit of only 6 employees) my day has finally arrived! Tomorrow I'm going in for cataract surgery on my left eye, which I've gone totally blind in on the waiting list. The hospital rang me earlier today to confirm. Hooray!

I must say I'm very nervous, but I do have great faith in Australia's medical professionals and their ability to fix my blind eye. It's unfortunate that these skilled people have to work in a system of constant cutbacks by this gov. One year on a waiting list for cataract surgery is in my opinion completely outrageous and unacceptable for Australians. I do note that it's under a state Liberal gov in New South Wales that NSW now has the longest waiting lists in Australia for such surgeries.


David rung up the hospital as the instructions are that he's supposed to come and get me so I don't go home on my own. He established (being nurse David and talking the talk to the nurse on the phone) that the eye operation was going to take about an hour, and although I'm required to be there at 8am (*faints*) I was the 4th of the four on the list and wouldn't go into surgery until about midday. He's going to turn up about 1pm. 


We have to get the bus home. We've got no money until Wednesday. Bla pensioners in private rent bla. Ideally it would be best to get home in a cab after all that drama, but just not possible on that day. It's one day before David get's his Carers Allowance for me of about $120 on our off week, but you know, that's the way the cookie crumbles....


David is also sick and dealing with it, as we do. He's been having chemotherapy for the last six months and didn't even tell me he was doing so. I'm still dealing with my anger over that but that's another story. I told him he was a dead set idiot for keeping something like that to himself. *sigh* It was all through us getting married and everything. Fucks sake man. Why all the secrecy? As far as I'm concerned it would've made our wedding much more meaningful if anything. Will be discussing this with my psychologist I guess shortly.


But anyway, David has bone cancer in one lower leg. The chemo is working so far. If it doesn't work then to save his leg he'll need a bone marrow transplant from a family member who would hopefully be compatible. 


David's family hates him because he's gay, particularly his mother. This is despite David's father fucking him for years along with his older brother. They're all good strong Malta type Catholic's. David's uncle who he recently contacted after many years, told David he wished David had died so as not to bring shame on "the family"


In short, David contacted a person in the family who was relatively friendly to him but would relate to the family about David's dilemma of possibly needing a bone marrow transplant if the present chemo doesn't work. *crickets*


We can only take all that as the family wants him dead. Because the strict Maltese Catholic family that has been suspended in time for 50 or 60 years when they came to Australia, probably doesn't even know that they now have marriage equality in Malta :s


Anyway, David's family it seems pretty much wants him dead because he's gay. 


I feel so bad for David. He tries to be so brave about it but I can see it in his eyes and see how much it hurts him. I stop talking about it with him as I know even the subject matter will hurt.

But on the bright side...... (yes there is one in all of this fuckwittery) David has made a decision on how to survive if the chemo doesn't work so good, with his family wishing he was dead because he was gay, and who now will evidently not help one of their own family. 


Worst comes to worst David has decided to get his cancerous leg chopped off. He says it's not so bad as lot's of people are handling prosthetic legs. In fact he would rather go through that than beg for forgiveness off his so called "family".


David has long had a new family. Everybody knows him on Oxford St. Shame the police and bouncers and the lockout laws have completely killed the place. Being called a "fag" at the Oxford Hotel wasn't at all pleasant.


But when we actually have a few dollars and go and spend incredibly outrageous prices on Oxford St for a Schooner, everyone knows David!

Egad, I think I've gone into raving mode.....bla.......


No comments:

Post a Comment