Tuesday 2 October 2012

Will Jones take down Abbott?

My daughter came and asked me yesterday "Did you hear about Alan Jones and what he said?" It was hugely surprising for me to hear that from her as she hasn't got a political bone in her body (unlike me a political tragic). I thought wow, the whole bloody country has heard about it. Jones had made lots of comments in the past insulting various people, but I've never had my daughter hear about it. She's just not interested in that sort of thing.

She's also signed the petition now as well (yes so have I too) as she saw it on Farcebook Facebook. Um, I don't do Facebook. I have this really old fashioned idea about a certain level of privacy. I had to Google to find the petition, but the fact it's on such a wide reaching social media audience is a bit new in Australia I'd consider, well certainly something of this magnitude. The petition BTW is going bananas, nearly 80,000 names already as I just checked. 


But there's more! She came running out of her room this morning as she was getting ready for work, "Dad! Dad! Come quick and see this!" So I go in there and on the telly is an interview with the young bloke who started the petition, Nic Lochner. She was amazed as she knew him when she was in High School, through a gay friend of hers (no Nic's not gay BTW, not that it matters). Used to hang out with him (Nic) a lot. I don't remember him myself as she had so many friends in school back then I didn't bother keeping up. But she's been drawn in and interested now in the whole subject, although I seriously doubt she'll ever be a political tragic like me.


Anyway, it's all gone right to the top with Labor bashing the Liberal party over the head using Jones as the baseball bat. It turns out, there were actually Liberal party ministers at the meeting where Jones said PM Gillard's father "died of shame" of her. They've been extremely quiet last couple of days. They didn't walk out either in protest at the comment. Here they are

Other Liberals present at the function were MPs Ray Williams, Alex Hawke, and Sussan Ley  more
Wonder if they were the ones laughing on the tape?

But there's more! I didn't know this, but Tony Abbott (the Federal opposition leader himself who wants to be the next PM) is very close to Jones. I suppose why wouldn't he be as all Jones does most of the time is crap on about how good the Liberal party is. Abbott's piss weak condemnation of Jones late in the day (after Jones's piss weak apology with caveats, even after Malcolm Turnbull from Abbott's own party had ripped into Jones much more strongly) has come under fire for being, well, piss weak. Thereby drawing national attention to the close relationship between extremist nutbag Jones and Abbott himself. 


OMG! It's the perfect storm!
Photobucket
Sponsors are lining up to cancel on Jones's show, and the Labor party handbag hit squad are lining up for the media in Canberra to pass the baton to each other (the baseball bat of Jones) having I might add a complete and utter field day with this.



It certainly looks like the wheels are falling off Abbott's leadership. He's already on the slide in the polls. My guess is a further slide after this debacle. I was one of the few who wouldn't write off Gillard back a few months ago when everyone was announcing Abbott as the new PM in next years federal election. 

His strategy has failed as he wanted to force an early election with a big scare tactic about the carbon tax. The tax is in and working, along with very big tax cuts for workers, and his bleating from the rooftops about the end of the world has been shown to be the scare tactic it was. That was his whole game plan, now it's falling over and he has nowhere to go.   

No comments:

Post a Comment