Sunday 14 October 2012

Free HIV meds?

There's a push on to have HIV medications made free in Australia.

Oh I can hear the howls of protest already! Why not for other diseases? Why can't diabetics get free meds? Why is HIV so special?


Well the fact is there's already countries that are giving out free HIV medications. The idea is to make medications much more accessible, as apart from saving and extending lives, it hugely reduces the number of new infections. The reason is simple; today's HIV meds are sophisticated enough to make the "viral load" (the measure of the HIV virus in the blood) undetectable, making the possibility of passing on the virus very small. By treating people in this way, gov's not only save money in the long term in hospitalisation and intervention in AIDS related illnesses, but the number of new infections dissolves away to pretty much fuck all. This is from the latest UN report into AIDS worldwide (PDF):



And this (page 50):
In the past decade, antiretroviral therapy programmes have expanded greatly in low- and middle-income countries. As a result, access to antiretroviral therapy has greatly reduced sickness and death from AIDS.

The impact of antiretroviral therapy on sexual and other high-risk behaviour is complex (9), but one major impact is the larger number of people who know they are living with HIV and the additional option this knowledge gives them in managing the risk of transmitting HIV within their relationships. Observational studies and clinical trials show unequivocally that, when individuals are receiving effective antiretroviral therapy, they have a low likelihood of transmitting HIV to other people. more
There is some discussion going on around the world at the moment, as in this report. The idea is that with everyone having access to HIV meds, then it may be possible to end AIDS.

My opinions are not so rosy as that. For a start there seems to be a huge confusion that the end of AIDS will mean the end of HIV. They're two different things. I've had HIV for 4 years but I don't have AIDS (as indicated by getting an AIDS defining illness). Yet we have people going around saying things like we're looking at the "end of HIV". What bullshit. Yes, infection rates will go through the floor if everyone's viral load is undetectable, but as if that's going to happen. I would concede though that the end of AIDS may well be a possibility with universal treatment as the HIV wouldn't be able to damage the immune system for AIDS to develop.

There's also the thing that you can't make people take the meds if they don't want to. I for example consider that access isn't particularly a problem for me as when I do start on meds they'll be cheap being on gov support. For me the issue is if I'm gonna get kidney failure again or my heart fucks up again. These meds may be getting much cheaper, but they're still very powerful drugs. Starting meds straight away may not work for everyone, as it didn't work for me. Currently my viral load is detectable at a low 4,000. I'll take meds when I'm good and ready after my last experience on them. It's my body and my choice.

HIV is a complicated illness, and I've learnt from personal experience that you can't just wave a magic pill and end it. IMO to suggest so is highly irresponsible. The ignorant will start throwing away their condoms (in gay abandon I guess!). 

Anyway, that's my rave for today. But yes I do agree with free meds to drastically reduce infection rates, which can only be good. So my friend Rick has started an online petition directed at the federal health minister here. Rick's blog is linked on the right (or here if that's easier at Positive Lives). His petition is here, and please join with me in signing for this push in Australia for free HIV medication for all:
I am seeking a policy change for the Federal government to provide HIV medications for free to all people who have HIV in Australia. 

In an article by Bill Whittaker (special envoy to the UN) he outlined that the current research indicates that people with HIV on treatment and have their viral load suppressed reduce the risk of infecting their partners markedly. He also quoted some studies that demonstrate that every new person infected with HIV will cost the government one million dollars in healthcare costs....more and sign
 I was interested to find out that I was a one million dollar man!

No comments:

Post a Comment