Monday 6 February 2012

Stress and Shingles

Had a bad night last night. The Endone didn't seem enough. Surprising as it's morphine based, and I've never had it before. It's not like I'd be used to it. Tossed and turned all night, waking up constantly. My lower back was aching badly, along with both legs. And the rash on my left leg was stinging the worst it has yet just at the slightest touch. Even just turning over in bed I had to go slowly and carefully. 

Had to go to the doctor today to get another prescription for Endone as the hospital only gave me enough for one week. They did say that I'd have to go to the GP during the week as one weeks supply wouldn't be enough. They can only prescribe a certain amount at the hospital when you're leaving it, and the rest you have to see a GP. My GP is still on leave until next week, so I went to the same one I saw last week, who diagnosed it then as an allergic reaction. 

He read the letter that Emergency wrote for him to read. Gave me the Endone, but thought the hospital had made a wrong decision. I thought that was a bit strange. I wasn't going to argue with him though, just told him I was supposed to get another 20 tablets as written in the letter. There were 2 doctors in Emergency that both diagnosed Shingles, as well as a nurse in there that took my blood pressure, as well as the triage nurse who saw me first. I also researched it online and it looked exactly like the images there.

I found out online that you can only get it after having chicken pox, with the chicken pox virus laying dormant in your body after getting better from it.
  When a person catches chicken pox, this virus just lies inactive and undeveloped in your skin cells, for years, even decades. Once your immune system is at its weakest, because of age, another disease and even stress that gets out of control, your immune system cannot hold back this dormant virus, and it becomes active again, causing infection, rashes and an itchy, burning sensation on the area of the skin where the virus laid dormant for years.
Link
I'm wondering just how much of a roll the recent stress of having to go to court and all, has had in this Shingles thing. It's not like my immune system is fucked with my CD4 count so high. It just makes me even more angry at those so called friends who didn't consider my condition at all, and defended the guy who sent the death threat. I mean FFS, HIV+, Post Traumatic Stress, barely avoiding suicide, and years of lurching from one crisis to the next. These people knew all this and didn't give a fuck. 

I think losing those friends (even though it was me who broke the friendship) was way more stressful than taking a violent fuckwit to court. It hurt a lot. People who I thought cared about me didn't at all. They only cared about themselves. Yes it's been the best decision I've made for a while getting rid of them, and I don't regret it in the slightest. But it still hurt.

5 comments:

  1. I work in health and know how painful shingles can be. I hope you're feeling better after another nights sleep. I find out my results tomorrow, I guess I
    Already know. Just praying for acceptance and a long happy life.
    I'll message you tomorrow. You have a new friend here.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to email me at the address on the right, peterhiv@hotmail.com

    I've had a few hairy disclosures over the last 3 years, only from straight people who I needed to let know for work. I know only one person in the gay community that would treat me like I had the plague (he's long out of my life now. Saw him a few weeks back after nearly 2 year not. Didn't disclose my status at all). Everyone else in the gay world is very accepting. Eastern Sydney gays are 1 in 5 HIV+. Most people don't give the slightest fuck (um, pun not intended).

    All the best mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so relieved that I can tell you my tests came back neg. I honestly thought it was going to be positive. I've still got another test in 6 weeks to be 100% but have been told that it's 90% at this stage. Will have to keep my fingers crossed. I've decided that this whole experience has to have something good out of it and am
    Going to head of to Acon to look at volunteering. I have to make something good of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good result :)

    I encourage you to to keep that appt in 6 weeks. Yes the chances are low about 6 weeks after the exposure, but you have to have that 3 month period from exposure to be absolutely sure.

    Did they do a viral load test? After 6 weeks that would be a much more accurate indication than just measuring antibodies. But anyway, it's certainly looking good so far.

    My first test came back positive as I'd waited 3 full months. Didn't want the drama of any doubts, just wanted to know straight up.

    Good on you the ACON thing. As a nurse I'm sure they'd welcome you as a volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No viral load done just the ful ELISA & western blot.
    Have done some reading on the tests and the Dr both suggest that 4th generation ELISA testing reduces window to 6 weeks but yes still need 100% assurance at 12 weeks. It is good news but there is still a little part of me in doubt but trying to not let it get to me too much.

    ReplyDelete