Sunday 19 February 2012

True friends

Feeling a bit strange today. Maybe a bit lost. Simon's in New Zealand now. He left here about 8am or so this morning, flew out from the airport about 9 I think. We hugged saying goodbye. About a 3 hour flight to Christchurch so he'd be well there now. Hope it goes well with his daughter, he was worried about her the last few days. 

It will be good for him to see her, and her him. She's been quite affected by the sort of metal collapse she's had. Said she couldn't go somewhere the other day as she just froze when trying to get in the car. I can understand that sort of thing as I've been through it myself. There've been many times I've not been able to get to work simply because I was scared to leave the house. It felt safe at home, like nothing more could happen whilst I was within the walls. Some days I didn't even pull the curtains back, just sat inside at home all day completely cut off from the outside world. 

It takes time to get over things like that, the fear and all. Likely Simon has learned from his experience with me that it's something that she has to do at her own pace. I imagine too that there'd be a lot of people from Christchurch suffering mental health issues after the big earthquake last year. 

Had a couple of friends over last night, that I knew from the pub. As I'm not going there as I have the shits with the clientele severely, and the bar staff, Simon suggested we have these two people over. Those two have shown themselves to be true friends, through the whole crisis with the violent nut recently who sent me the death threat. Ones that stuck by me and supported me, instead of being critical of me and making excuses for the nut. 

That experience turned out to be a very stressful period. Not so much about putting the nut in his place through the courts, but about being rejected and put down over it by people who claimed to be my friends. It is good to go through an experience I think where such false friends can be weeded out (I mean fuck, you don't want that falseness in your life do you) but it still hurts when you do have to face the truth about them. I'm glad I was the one who ended the friendship; if they had of done it I reckon it've made the experience harder to deal with. 

All in all though things are looking much better now. It's good to know I have real true friends who will be there for me (and I them) when the chips are down. The process finding them has been a bit hard, but worth it in the end. I so appreciated their support. We had a very friendly night of laughter and beer (oh, and some wine which I didn't have as I hate the stuff). Simon is a chef but just did a simple meal, went over well. The conversation flowed and we all felt at home. I'm a Taurus and so it's all about comfort and feeling welcome at my place.  

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Shingles are tough to deal with. But your blood work numbers are ..great!
    When you write about your times with Simon, it is like reading someone else's writing. It is obvious to me how much that you care about him. He must care for you just as much.
    I have just gone through some drama with 'friends'. You handled it beautifully. A loved one passes away in October so resolving a situation has become even more important.
    I had PTSD when I moved here in 2002. Also constant battle with depression. I figure I have fought too fucking hard to stay alive, I am going to have more fun, I have become comfortable with my anger as I do not think that it will ever subside. I just try to channel it in healthier ways.
    Santurum is CRAZY!!!!
    ROB
    I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, WTF is going on with Santorum? He actually won something FFS!

    Get out and have fun mate, at your own pace. It's your fuckin life. It's not all about the pills and all, it's about you as well. You have earned it, believe me.

    Peter.

    ReplyDelete