Tuesday 21 February 2012

Ongoing pain management

Went to my doctor yesterday and explained the situation. The rash from the Shingles is considerably better now, but I'm still getting a lot of pain from the nerves that were involved in it. Being as it was the sciatic nerve (the biggest nerve in the body) it's understandable that it's going to take a bit longer for the pain to settle down after the rash is finished. Doctor said the nerves get inflamed. Oh fuckin joy! 


If I leave it to long in between painkillers the pain can get very strong; intensely bad in my lower back and deep inside the pelvic area, radiating down my left leg, and sometimes up the left side of my back right up to my shoulder. When it's bad like that it hurts even to turn over in bed as touching it causes severe pain. The other night I took nothing through the night and woke up hurting enormously.The area of the rash too seems itchy at time, but the slightest scratching of it to relieve the itch brings strong pain instead of relief.

Told much of this to my doctor, and that I was starting work again Wednesday. Had only two tablets of Endone left so he gave me another prescription for that, plus the other tablets he gave me last time from the sample packs; another weeks supply of "Lyrica". I am taking just Panadol as much as I can instead of the Endone, but when the pain is really bad I've got no choice but to take Endone. The other morning I woke up and sat on the bed, sort of in a daze at how much I was hurting. Like "Wow, this is really bad man".  

So I get to go to work with Endone. That should be interesting. Suppose I better let them know at work. Maybe they won't demand so much of me then! It's actually the Lyrica tablets that seem to be making me space out though. They're only 2 a day, and have help heaps with the pain, but I find myself just sort of wandering through the day a bit vacant. I suppose that will help a lot with the boredom I have to deal with there. It's on top of 300mg of Efexor in the morning too, I wonder if they're having a bit of a party together. Add 5mg of Endone to that and I've got a great little threesome happening.

Went and saw the psychologist after the doctors. Had a lot to discuss as it's been 5 weeks since I saw him last. Overall he was pleased with how I was going, particularly how I decided that being HIV+ didn't mean I should be treated badly by people, or that it should be used as a put down.

No comments:

Post a Comment