Tuesday 14 February 2012

Latest blood results, GP visit, AVO court papers

Went to my GP today and he saw the Shingles for the first time (he's been on leave). Explained to him my dramas with it all, and how it was so bloody painful being as it's gone through the sciatic nerve. He was surprised at how bad it was, described it as "full on", and that the nerves were inflamed. 

I asked for something stronger as what I had been taking seemed to be doing fuck all. He assured me that the Endone was very strong, I said "Well it's doing nothing". As the nerves are inflamed he decided to replace the Endep (once at night) with "Lyrica". Never heard of it, but sounds good:
How LYRICA is believed to work

The shingles virus travels to your skin by following your nerves. Along the way, the virus damages these nerves. These damaged nerves are what cause pain after shingles. LYRICA is believed to work on damaged or overactive nerves that are thought to cause nerve pain. Although the exact mechanism of action is unknown, animal studies suggest that LYRICA reduces "extra" electrical signals sent out by these damaged nerves. The implication of these studies in humans is not known.
Link
It's twice a day. He went and got a couple of sample boxes, each with 14 pills in them - two weeks supply. So I didn't have to pay for a prescription, really appreciated that. Just had to pay for another Endone script is all. 

Also remembered to ask about my CD4 count. I never bothered to follow up after the last blood test that was done at Infectious Diseases at the hospital. They've since handed me over to him as he's a GP qualified to treat HIV as well. That blood was taken early last month, and came back as:
CD4 - 760
Viral load - 4,600
Impressive I thought. He said to take another blood test in about a month from now as the Shingles episode may give a wrong reading as the to overall state. I said I'm happy to stay off meds for as long as I can if I'm getting results like that.

Tonight is the Roger Waters concert, but as I'm so fucked I just don't feel I'm up to going. It's half way across the city on public transport to get there, plus a fair walk from the train station. Getting home is a hassle and I'd likely not be home until midnight. All the worries about taking painkillers at the right time, nerves hurting like hell. I dunno, just can't do it right now. A shame to miss it, but at least I only got a cheap ticket of $100, and over 6 months ago so it's not like I'm spending today's money on it. Last night I was hurting all over just sitting watching telly and ended up going to bed just to lie down at about 7:30. I may change my mind, will see how I feel later.

Got the court papers in the mail yesterday; the ones where I took the fuckwit to court. The Apprehended Violence Order against him is pretty broad. Good fuckin job. I feel so good about standing up to him. Fancy trying to use my HIV as a put down in a death threat FFS! Enough was enough. He's actually done me a big favour, as his message was the catalyst to me realising that having HIV doesn't mean you should be treated badly, by anyone
 

No comments:

Post a Comment