Thursday 24 April 2014

Cashless society nearer than ever

My bank recently issued me with a new debit card, with the new orgasmatronic "pay pass" thing on it. You just wave it in front of the machine and it does the transaction without touching anything. I was a bit wary at first, but retailers helped me out as the technology was new for them too. To me this looks like it's going to be the end of cash completely in the not too distant future.

It struck me yesterday when I was out doing various errands. I had not a cent of cash on me. Got some bus tickets from the news agent across the road. Went to the chemist and got two prescriptions. Did a bit of grocery shopping at the supermarket. Bought a 6 pack of beer. Came home and realised I still had not a cent of cash on me. It'd all been just a beep at the registers straight out of my account. Even went to the petrol station later on and got $5 of lollies, and just beeped it there. Only $5 FFS. I still don't have a cent of cash on me. I mean it's not like I'm someone special, just an average person in society.

Who wants cash anyway? All that hassle with coins and all. Getting change everywhere. Money handled by a bazillion people covered in germs. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment