Monday 21 April 2014

Needless anxiety because of Abbott

Readers of this blog would know that I've been having a pretty hard time of it lately with one aspect of my illnesses, that being the anxiety that seems to go hand in hand with chronic illness. I've had dramas with my daughter in the last few months, who has decided to excommunicate me from her life. It's also near the anniversary of my wife's death (her mother) which is exacerbating the hurt already caused by my daughter. That anxiety in recent weeks has already spilled over into my normal life, with David noticing and making noises to try and calm me down a bit. 

It's a matter of anxiety management, employing the learned anxiety management strategies to deal with it. Stepping back from the anxiety, giving it space, analysing if there's actually any logical reason to warrant feeling this way. Recognising that my head can't predict the future and it's silly to make assumptions about future events. Things of that order.

So with all that going on in my head already, it's perhaps no surprise that a plan by the Abbott gov to attack my only means of survival (the Disability Support Pension) over an imagined budget crisis, is going to cause me more anxiety. Which really pisses me off

Apart from the fact that there is no budget crisis (well there wasn't before Abbott came to power), even if there was, it's the height of ideological bullshit to attack us. The sick and vulnerable. But what pisses me off by far the most, is that this anxiety is needless; in that it's all the creation of the Abbott gov.

Haven't us DSP'ers got enough shit on our plates without having to deal with worrying about our very survival? Don't HIV+ people have enough stigma to face without having the gov whip up hysteria in the community about our apparent rourting of the DSP? I mean FFS, what do they think we're doing with the $20,000 a year and less? Hiding it away in a Swiss bank account? 

I'd like to ask anyone who jumps on this bandwagon about DSP people ripping off taxpayers. Try living off about $400 or so a week. If anything we need more, not threats of cuts. The arrogance of these politicians, who discuss my means of living in the media like I'm not there. They're sitting in Canberra getting bazillions. How about some cuts to their taxpayer funded gravy train then?

No comments:

Post a Comment