Tuesday 8 April 2014

Blood pressure dramatics

Went to the doctor yesterday. It started out as being just to get the flu shot for the winter. Then on the weekend I ran out of the second of my two blood pressure tablets. This is after I ran out of the first one about a week ago. Yes I was just being slack. See the doctor enough without having to traipse in there just for a single prescription. So I had to end up getting both prescriptions yesterday.

Doctor said that'd be easy to do with the amount of pills I take. I wasn't much concerned as I just thought a few days without the pills wouldn't matter.

But then the doc takes my blood pressure, and it's fuckin outrageous. 160 over 110. Doc says to me "Your blood pressure is up" with a rather concerned look on his face.

I say "Well that shows the tablets work really well then". He says "Yes they do, when you take them!" Told him I would go to the chemist across the road "immediately!" :)  

Must say I was very surprised though. I thought it may be up a little bit after a few days without those tiny little pills that are so small you wouldn't think they'd do anything. But when I looked at the blood pressure reading I thought "fuck!". So I won't be doing that again; yes a less casual approach to my blood pressure management is in order.

It was also time for my quarterly bloods which I'd not realised, so I got them done as well. He asked if I wanted an STI screen this time. I haven't been getting them since being with David. But I explained to him that they did all that recently at the anal cancer study, which led on to me telling him all about that. He was quite interested. I said they need more HIV+ people in the study and to put the word out if anyone want to get involved. After all, I myself may very well have avoided anal cancer by being part of the study.

Then he told me about another study that he's involved in; to do with the bird flu from China. They have a vaccine for it and want to give it to HIV+ people to see if it stops them from possibly getting it. He says it pays $50. Two injections over three weeks. I said "I'll do it!". Somebody from that study will ring me about it in due course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment