Sunday 6 April 2014

Battling with Windows 8

I'm slowly getting the hang of it, but I suspect not in a way that it was meant. Basically it's setting the thing up in a way I can use. I haven't the faintest idea why the hell they've put everything in pretty coloured boxes on a completely new "start" page. I guess they're trying to make it like a tablet. Thing is I don't use a tablet at all, and I didn't get a PC with a touch screen anyway. So why the fuck do I need these box things for everything? 

So I just go straight to the desktop when I start the thing. Am much more comfortable with the familiar old desktop. Have been putting everything on there and working the PC that way. 

Made a major breakthrough yesterday. After much agonising I discovered where they'd put the Control Panel. Eureka! It was in one of those box things, after I found that by right clicking the mouse in the lower left corner of the screen a link popped up from below to all the programs ("apps") on the PC. Of course they were displayed in these stupid box things. And there it was, Control Panel. Hah! Windows 8 was not going to beat me!

Then I found that by right clicking on the box I could go to the folder where it was contained. Yes, it displayed the file location in that old thing called Windows Explorer. Ah, there were all the familiar buttons. From there it was easy to make a shortcut on the desktop to it. In there then are all the things I need to maintain the PC and set it up how I want. 

Windows used to have an option that you could make a new version look like the classic version. I wonder if there's an option like that with this Windows.....

No comments:

Post a Comment