Saturday 6 October 2012

4 years of HIV

This month it's been 4 years since I was infected with HIV.

Although I know it was sometime this month, I have no idea of any particular date it was. Or who I got it off. Let's just say it was a rather busy time for me. I know it was Oct though because I had a bad sero-conversion and was pretty sick for most of Nov. I got many symptoms; rash, flu-like feeling, loss of appetite, and a few others that I can't remember. I lost 5 kilos in a month, that's a lot when I'm only 68 kilos already.

I had my suspicions about it and started looking online in Dec or Jan I think, and remember seeing a list of things that could indicate HIV infection, and I had about all of them. I was having a month off on leave starting middle of Feb and decided to get tested during that time off. When the results came back positive I wasn't at all surprised, probably would've been surprised if it was negative.

Wasn't badly affected though by the diagnosis, which is I'm told a very unusual reaction. For me there was so much other shit happening that it was like "Oh, I've got HIV as well.... meh".

And what a fun filled time it's been since then. Contrary to the popular belief currently that treatment is a simple thing, and there's nothing to worry about, and you just take your pills and continue life, that wasn't how it worked out for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment