Saturday 11 September 2010

HIV acceptance

Got the email today for the next Planet Positive:



I've gone to all of them since finding out about it. This time is at a very good venue, at the Saddle Bar above Midnight Shift. 

I'm in 2 minds though whether to go or not this time. After the episode at the sex club, and the other guy wanting me to go to a drug rehab place over a few fuckin beers, I'm considering giving it a miss this time.

It is good, but lately I'm feeling that having HIV is rather less of a deal than some people make it out to be. Yes it's a serious disease and all, but it's not the end of the fuckin world. I know my reaction on diagnosis wasn't exactly normal though ("the icing on the shit cake") but seriously, some of these guys carry on like they have the death plague. People die from other diseases too, not just HIV. Some seem to consider themselves as deserving of particularly special treatment because they have it. That's not how I feel at all. 

Rather, it's just part of who I am now. Accepted. No dramas. I'm not wanting to be considered any more special than the next person. 


No comments:

Post a Comment