Monday 4 March 2013

Our Mardi Gras weekend

We ended up staying home and having sex rather than watching the Mardi Gras parade. It was still showering rain and unseasonably cold (I had a winter coat on when going outside, ridiculous for this time of year), and both David and I get unduly annoyed in big crowds. I didn't know that about him until now. Seems we have something else in common. So we spent the night together, much of it in bed, at times hearing the roar of the crowd a block away as the parade went by.

Also, my daughter and her friends got there so late they missed the whole parade! That must have been bloody annoying for them. Although she did look a bit unwell that morning, got up late and sneezing. Working in child care she picks up all the bugs.

So all in all by us it was a pretty piss poor Mardi Gras effort. I found some good pictures of some of it though. Here's the defence forces marching, first time in uniform, "Australian Defence Force - Serving with Pride":


David and I went to the pub the next day when everyone is still about. Pub was packed with tourists, quite an atmosphere. Although as locals I wasn't impressed with the plastic beer cups and the price being $1.60 more a beer for the day. Did a bit of a good natured whine about it to the bar people, like "Do I look capable of glassing someone?". Anyway soon after that they returned to beers in glass not plastic. It was a pleasant atmosphere and nobody was interested in arguing about anything.

Some of the tourists were, um, I dunno. A bit strange. Well a bit strange for us locals I suppose. I mean there's nothing wrong with looking after yourself and all that. Some of them were like, too perfect somehow. Perfect hair, perfect clothes, perfect upper body muscles, perfect hair dye the older ones. Fuck imagine the upkeep on all that perfection. Each to their own, if they find that attractive. Strange though that some of them say the Aussie boys are hot. Is that because we don't care so much about imperfections? Dunno. 

It was a good afternoon anyway. Sometimes I saw the inevitable odd person here or there off their face on ice. Was saying to David that I don't envy them at all. All I could think of looking at them was how hard it's going to be for them to come down off it when the party's over. Worked out well actually me having enough of all that and not wanting to have anything to do with it anymore, as David (being a nurse) is very against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment