Sunday 17 March 2013

Republicans react - Sen supports gay marriage

I just found out what CPAC stood for. The Conservative Political Action Conference. Wasn't particularly interested, but it was because of a video taken there that's now on YouTube, with attendees answering questions about their views on gay marriage. Of course I wasn't expecting anything positive to come out of it, but my jaw dropped a few times watching this. Even more-so as the reason for the interest was because one of their own (Rob Portman of Ohio) has come out in support of gay marriage, his son being gay himself.


 
The surprise was the level of hatred and condemnation. Especially from the lady who preferred gays to stay in the closet like they did in the 1950's. Or the bloke at the end who claimed that gays went "beyond" the thing of doing to others like you'd do to yourself. I honestly can't understand what their problem is. None of their arguments are valid, or even thought out. Just another display of Christian love I guess.

I wonder what they're all going to do when Republican guys all start coming out of the closet, or embracing their gay offspring? Being gay isn't confined to whatever political views you have, or which party you're in. Wherever humanity is, you'll find gay people.


Update:

More reaction from Republicans. This one is totally out there, comparing being gay to drink driving. It's a stupid argument that uses the premise that being gay is wrong. This is from the Tradition Values Coalition (um, the interpretation of that: more Christians darlings). Perhaps they should consider gay teen suicides before crapping on about "morality".
‘Earlier this week one of my children came to me and told me something which was shocking. He is a drunk driver and has been driving drunk regularly since college.

‘I have taken several days to reflect on this and I have decided to reverse my earlier opposition to drunk driving. My child is a drunk driver and I love him. It is a part of his identity, who he is.

'Therefore, today I am reversing my opposition to drunk driving. My child has caused me to revisit a decision which, up until now, had been based simply on morality.

‘In addition, I would like to say that drunk driving will make all of us stronger drivers. Think of how much more interesting driving will be in the future if more people have the freedom to drive drunk. It will sharpen the defensive driving skills of the rest of us.’

‘This unreleased press statement follows the same twisted, self-serving logic that several public officials have used in explaining their switch from opposing homosexual marriage to favoring it.’ bitch
BTW here's a picture of the Republican Senator and his gay son. 

No comments:

Post a Comment