Saturday 28 November 2015

The big holiday sell - buy, buy, buy!

Apart from a lot of very bad memories around Christmas and news years, one of the reasons I detest that time of year is the bullshit marketing you have to endure in it.

I went to the local mall the other day which was already in a frenzy of Christmas buying. All the decorations up, crappy mall music, people everywhere. I walked in and the first thing that entered my mind was "conformity". They want you to be one of the brainless buying drones that think that happiness and family loves comes through a purchase at a checkout. 

At the food court there was the din of hundreds of people, all stuffing their faces in a fake mall environment and eating crap from the eateries around them, the noise of the crowd echoing harshly off the hard walls and easy to clean tiles. People pushed past me on the travelator, too eager to buy than to politely wait with the rest of the rats. Frustrated husbands getting dragged around the mall by their wives possessed with the capitalist orgy they were in the middle of.

What a nightmare. I couldn't wait to get outa there.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment