Saturday 20 March 2010

Fuck I hate the cops....

Had a terrible experience last night. A real set back. I've sent the following email off to the NSW Police Commissioner, the NSW Ombudsman, the NSW Council for Civil Liberties, and the Sydney Morning Herald. Edited here for privacy reasons.
Hi,

Dunno if this is worth investigating but I did find it to be quite a horrible experience.

Last night after a hard days work I had a few beers with mates as usual at the pub. After doing so I bought a pizza and 6 pack, and got on a bus for the short trip home (is only a 10 minute walk but am recovery from a knee fracture - work related). As sometimes happens, the transit police got on to inspect tickets.

I was sitting opposite the open back door. There were two police officers there from the local Police Station, one I recognised as the lady who tried to get my daughter to testify against me in a recent court case. The transit police were enough IMO, there was more than one of them. I wondered had the police nothing better to do than to catch fare avoiders on the bus? I swore at them. Yes a mistake on my part, but in no way deserving of what followed.

The lady officer asked on the bus if people had been offended. After going through 3 seats with nobody so, they came across an older woman who said yes. Next thing I know I'm being physically dragged off the bus by the police, thrown to the ground outside the bus (my pants half way down my behind for all to see). One bloke got off the bus and expressed his disapproval of what the police were doing. They went on to handcuff me (the first time in my life I've ever had that done) and got me in the back of the paddywagon. I was treated very roughly physically, despite there obviously being an elastic knee thing on my knee very visible. This morning I have sore ribs and grazes from the concrete.

I am also recovering from severe depression, which was well known to the lady officer. I spent 6 months of last year very close to suicide, and today am gladly feeling much more positive after months of counselling by a psychologist and psychiatrist, and being put on a very high dose of the antidepressant Efexor. To be handled like this however, just on the way home from work after a long day, and finding myself handcuffed in the back of a paddywagon simply for swearing, was too much. I broke down and expressed a desire to suicide; something in itself upsetting as I've not felt that way for some months now. It seemed a big set back in my recovery.

They ended up taking me to hospital accident and emergency because of this. After a few hours I'd settled down, and the psychologists there on duty let me go at about 2am, not seeing the need to keep me in overnight.

I am appalled by the police behaviour in this matter. Not only did they fail in their duty of care physically despite my knee injury, they also failed to consider my mental state. They drove me to thoughts of suicide. Something which I'd left behind me until now. The lady cop knows my history with depression.

Please let me know if you want to investigate this,

Thank you,..................
It's been a long tough road the last few years. To have this happen for bugger all reason is discouraging to say the least. To be driven to that point by people who are supposed to be there to protect me. It's taken a huge effort by all to get me to this point, only to be pushed back.

My 19 year old daughter showed up at the hospital, quite appreciated that given the strain on our relationship in past months. Of course I had to let them know I was HIV+, and in doing so also inform them that my daughter didn't know and to be careful about what they said around her.

I'll tell her one day, but at the moment all it would do would be to complicate an already fragile relationship. I'm not about to cark it, am quite healthy in fact (apart from presently having sore ribs and fuckin concrete grazes).

Dunno where this will end up. It's likely the bitch at the cop shop will charge me with resisting arrest or some shit. In which case I'll have to re-employ my solicitor again at considerable expense. Suppose it would be worth it to see him have a field day with her in court.

Have emailed my psychologist about it, was going to wait another month before seeing him again but under the circumstances won't wait that long now.
--------------------

Edit:

Went to doctors today. I have either a bruised or cracked rib.

No comments:

Post a Comment