Wednesday 6 October 2010

Undetectable Viral Load - 2nd blood test taking medication

HIV; no longer a killer.


Well for me anyway. I have mentioned it before, that by a chance of fate I live, whilst others die. We are very very lucky here in Australia. We have not only the latest cutting edge medicines if they're needed, but also access to them across the whole community. My particular pills are costing the gov around $1,000 a month, yet I pay only $66. In a couple of months I may even qualify for the safety net and they'll only cost about $15 for the last bit of the calendar year. 


They keep me alive. But even more; the doctor said that this should be "the beginning of the end of HIV" for me, and getting the virus down to where it is now was the hardest part and I'd done it. The viral load is now below 40, which is the lowest they can detect with current testing. As long as I keep taking the pills, it will stay there. Doc described it as like a leaking pipe that you tie a towel around, each day the towel fills up so you tie another dry one on and the house doesn't flood. Yet if you stop the towels the house eventually floods. The pills will keep the virus from multiplying.


Again, there's been a huge turnaround in my general health over the last 3 months. It's a bit scary knowing that to run out of these pills will really fuck me up, or that in the long term my life depends on them. Luckily I've already had much experience taking pills at the same time each day, the happy pills particularly which I've been on for about a year and a half now, but also blood pressure. I simply take the HIV pills with them. I guess being mentally ill with high blood pressure has it's advantages. 


It's court day today, will be off there in a bit. Got a thing from the psychologist yesterday for it, cripes didn't know whether to laugh or cry! I am one really fucked up dude in the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment