Friday 12 September 2014

Resigned from one of the studies

A disturbing thing happened the other day to do with one of the studies I'm participating in. Won't say which one as that's not the issue. What happened was a mind boggling breach of information security.

So the other day I get this mass email from the study about such and such and I click to reply to it...... I am aghast at what comes up on the screen........

All the email addresses of everyone participating in the study

WTF?

I notice two more emails from the study. The first one says to delete the one I just looked at as it has personal info on it. The next one is an apology for any "inconvenience".

WTF? pfffft! Fuck that shit. So there's this fuckin email list out there now of everyone in the study. Who knows where the fuck it could end up? Once it's out there you'll never get it back. The situation is made particularly worse for me, who already suffers badly from anxiety and depression.

There was an apology letter sent from some big honcho in the study, profusely apologising for the breach, which was nice as it was a recognition of how I was feeling; hurt and betrayed. That new procedures had been put in place so it wouldn't happen again, bla bla. But it was too late for me, I'd already resigned from the study over it.

Not that I'd have still stayed after reading the nice apology letter. I replied to the head honcho bloke saying that I'd assumed procedures would've already been in place to ensure nothing like this happened, and pretty much what a ridiculous mistake anyway in this day and age.

So since then I've been feeling quite a bit of fear and the like, anxious. I think the apology letter was a big help, but I can't go back there.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment