Friday 26 September 2014

Spring Magpie attack! - me


Being Spring here the Magpies are nesting. There's a bit of footpath up the road a bit where there's nesting magpies in trees in the middle nature strip. There's even a sign up on a power poll to people walking along there to beware of swooping magpies in nesting season as they fly across the road and literally attack you.

So anyway, I'm walking along there yesterday, warily looking up and around to let the birds know I'm watching for them. They're bloody sly things though. They have a simple but extremely effective attack procedure and even being wary of a possible magpie attack doesn't mean they're not going to.

I saw one attack another bloke there a few days back. They begin by launching themselves casually from their lookout, silently swooping towards their enemy. There is no frontal attack though, as they use the element of surprise. Silently, barely flapping, they come up from behind you. No engine. No footsteps. Nothing but silence. Peacefully walking along the road. 

When all of a sudden there's a great thonk on the side of you head. They come from behind and bonk you with their beak, quite bloody hard too. Can certainly make you bleed.

On this ocassion the bird came behind and attacked my left ear.....*thonk*..... "Bloody magpies" I utter, and thought nothing more of it.

Until later at home I noticed the ball was gone from my earring. 


WTF? Those bloody magpies!

Made a great story though when I got a replacement ball. Should have seen the piercing shop people laughing about it. Must have been because the ball is shiny. They imagined this magpie with a nest full of piercing balls :)

No comments:

Post a Comment