Thursday 23 January 2014

Ukraine protesters tracked via Moble phones

This has the one of the most "1984" things I've ever heard of.

Yesterday I was aghast at some of the raw footage of the protesters in the Ukraine as they clashed with the police. They've even been building medieval type catapults. Just a note it's pretty full on this one:

 

Well there's a new twist to the story. One that will send shivers down the spine of smart phone users around the world.

It's widely known that smart phones can be tracked so you can pretty much be found anywhere, with the right application. So what the police did was find everyone with a smart phone that was in the area of the protesters. Not a very fair way to single them out, I mean what if you were just walking by? But anyway, as blanket as it was, all those people were sent the following text message:
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.” 

That's a text message that thousands of Ukrainian protesters spontaneously received on their cell phones today, as a new law prohibiting public demonstrations went into effect. It was the regime's police force, sending protesters the perfectly dystopian text message to accompany the newly minted, perfectly dystopian legislation. In fact, it's downright Orwellian (and I hate that adjective, and only use it when absolutely necessary, I swear). 

But that's what this is: it's technology employed to detect noncompliance, to hone in on dissent. The NY Times reports that the "Ukrainian government used telephone technology to pinpoint the locations of cell phones in use near clashes between riot police officers and protesters early on Tuesday." Near. Using a cell phone near a clash lands you on the regime's hit list. more
far out man.......

I don't use a smart phone. They're too big, bulky, and expensive. I just have an unlocked one that I put my sim card in, does the usual stuff I want. Cost $80 brand new. I don't desire to be permanently connected to the internet. Once this PC is off then I'm offline for the rest of the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment